@ Park Road Academy Primary School
“We want every school to promote the basic British Values of democracy, the rule of
law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance for those of different faiths
and beliefs.” DfE
At Park Road Academy Primary School, we have a strong school ethos that actively promotes British Values. Our curriculum provides a wealth of opportunities to engage in British Values. We take a holistic approach, which allows us to embed British Values throughout the school. We also actively promote British Values through our whole school assemblies, class collective worship and discussion of Primary Picture News.
A key part of our plan for education is to ensure children become valuable and fully rounded members of society who treat others with respect, in preparation for life in modern Britain.
The four British Values are:
- Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual respect and tolerance for those with different faiths and beliefs
Our British Values Lead at Park Road Academy is Mrs Harter.
Children at Park Road Academy will learn:
- An understanding of how citizens can influence decision-making through the democratic process
- An understanding that the freedom to hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law
- An acceptance that people having different faiths and beliefs to oneself (or having none) should be accepted and tolerated, and should not be the cause of discriminatory behaviour
- An understanding of the importance of identifying and combating discrimination
What our pupils say:
- "Democracy is about voting in a fair way. In our school, we use democracy to choose things like our school council. Democracy is a fair way of choosing something, and gives everybody the chance of getting their opinions out."
- "Individual Liberty is the right to freedom of speech, give ideas and choose activities. We share and tell our ideas and opinions at Park Road Academy. We have lots of activities that we can choose from at lunch time or even after school."
- "Rule of law is when people and businesses have to follow the law. This means that everyone can be safe and law breakers are arrested. At Park Road Academy we have class and school rules to keep us safe."
- "At Park Road Academy, we respect people about their religion, gender, beliefs etc. We have tournaments that boys and girls can attend and it's really fair."